Hi. I’m Paul Sutton, an independent digital marketing and social media consultant.
But it wasn’t always that way. Back in 2006 I was working as Creative Director at a fast growing PR agency. I’d been working in marketing for the best part of a decade and was growing more and more interested in ecommerce and online marketing.
At that time, online marketing meant SEO, banner advertising, enewsletters and, to some extent, blogging. So I set about learning all I could about them.
By early 2007 I was running my own online retail company. It won a retail industry award during its first year of business and was featured in The Guardian newspaper. But unfortunately, thanks to the small matter of a global recession, it didn’t last.
But everything I learned during those three years as a small business owner was invaluable.
I learned all about Google and search. I learned about web design, conversion tracking and online brand reputation. As Facebook and Twitter took off I learned how to cultivate hugely beneficial relationships and how to use social media to build communities of advocates.
I learned at the coal face. I learned through necessity. And I immersed myself in the digital marketing world. Truth be told, I became a bit of a geek.
In the last five years since I returned to PR and marketing, I’ve been lucky enough to put all of that learning into practice with some fantastic brands. Among many others, I’ve had the honour of working with the likes of Honda, Macmillan, AXA, Goodyear and Interflora. My work has won 16 digital marketing industry awards in the last three years alone.
I’m fascinated by the convergence of PR, SEO and the web, and I’m passionate about the promotion of brands and organisations through online channels.
Maybe you’re a communications professional for an agency, a brand or an organisation? Or maybe you’re a small business owner? If you think we – you and I – could work together to achieve big things, let’s talk.
Some Other Stuff You Might Want to Know
- I was the sole representative of the PR industry to speak at Internet World in 2012
- During 2014 I was a guest speaker at FutureComms14, Web Managers and on The Social Media Show podcast, and I was a judge of the CorpComms Business Awards
- I was a founding member of the PRCA Digital Group
- My blog (formerly called FutureComms) was featured in The Guardian newspaper as being one of the most influential marketing blogs in the UK.
- I’m a regular guest blogger for some of the communications industry’s top global blogs, including SpinSucks, Ragan, The Conversation (CIPR) and Social Media Today
- I like black coffee and red wine, and have a penchant for flowery shirts. This is important.